Sunday, November 2, 2008

Daylight Savings... and other pros and cons with nightshift

For a while now I have thought about posting some pros and cons about working night shift. Right now I am at work, and we have just observed Daylight Savings time, and I get to work one extra hour tonight. I hadn't really thought about that in working nights, but at least I get one hour extra of pay (which will happen to be time and a half) and if things get busy I will have one extra hour to get things done. (I am trying to think positively because I really don't want to be here right now!)

Here are some other pros and cons to working nights (with some help from the girls I work with):

Pros....
-Being able to go to church every week (here at my job we have to work every other weekend)
-Higher pay
-Going to Wal-mart after getting off work in the morning: easy parking, short lines
-When I leave work in the morning and the sun is rising, I've already put my full day's work in.
- Opposite traffic flow when I get off.
-Getting off in the morning with a fresh feeling from the morning air.
-When I work holidays, I don't miss out on the daytime holiday activities
-The amazing girls that I work with and the teamwork that we have!!
- Not having to put up with A LOT of people throughout the day
- Being able to blog at night when the night is slower. ;-), and read other blogs
- Having appointments that I don't have to miss work for

Cons....
-When we have to wake patients up
-Sleep schedule
-Construction behind my house while I am sleeping throughout the day
-Daylight Savings
-People not understanding we sleep during the day....they aren't naps...OR they are amazed that we are still functioning well later on after our shift (when it may only be "eveningtime" in my sleep schedule)


..... I will note though, if it weren't for my schedule being 7on 7off (working 7days getting off 7 days) I probably wouldn't work nights....but this allows me to be "normal" during my off week.

No comments: