Friday, March 6, 2009

Lessons from Blackout Curtains: #2

What is the point of blackout curtains? "Obvious", you say, "to block out the light." I was thinking the other day, in light of a few dark weeks I've had (ha... I just noticed what I wrote!)...that in life a lot of times when things are "dark" I don't want to let the Light of the world in. Now in my room, even if I close the curtains and my world is dark, that doesn't mean that the light isn't on the other side of the curtains. The light still exists, even if it goes unacknowledged by me. And truthfully, with the style of curtains I hung in my room, some light does get in around the edges, so really, I can't get away from it. So goes the same in my life spiritually...

When I want to pull away, draw the curtains to close all around me, the Light still is there, whether I acknowledge Him or not. He is still pouring His light into my world around the edges of my blackout curtains, when I selfishly block Him and other lights out, retreating to my cave. And to what good?

The thing with working nights is that I am awake during the darkest hours, and asleep during the brightest hours. I might see light for a couple hours if I am lucky. But how much more grateful I am on my 7 off where I can spend a lot of time out in the light, and I don't take it as much for granted. Its that much more special to me. That relates too with my recent low and "dark" days.... I am so much more grateful for the Light, even when I tried to block Him out, and am trying not to take Him for granted. He's that much more special to me, after brightening my dark days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post!

demosthenes Valera said...

You rock! about me? Search me on google. There is one reason I had to block my profile. However, you can find me in google. KEEP ROCKING!